If you plan to build a log cabin, you probably wondered how much do they weigh? This question is especially important if you plan to transport that same log cabin to another location. Although log cabins are lighter than traditional houses, it is good to know how you can calculate the total weight of the cabin. In this article, we’ll talk about how much a typical log cabin weighs and the ways how you can calculate it on your own. So, let’s start!
Table of Contents
How Much Does A Log Cabin Weigh?
So How Much Does A Log Cabin Weigh? The average weight of a log cabin is between 7,000 and 15,000 pounds. This mostly depends on the log cabin’s square footing, internal contents, and wood density. As a rule of thumb, the average weight of a log cabin is 50 pounds (22.6 kg) per square foot.
Although it is sometimes difficult to determine the average weight of a log cabin, as each one is built differently, it is good to know their approximate weight. This is especially useful when we decide to move a cabin from one place to another. We will explain this in a little more detail below.
I think you will be interested in this article we wrote, Can A Log Cabin Be Moved? Expert Explain.
Determining The Weight of a Log Cabin
The first step to determining the weight of a log cabin is to know what is included in the term “log cabin.” Today, log cabins are much larger than 50 years ago. At that time, different materials were used in the construction, and the conditions were different.
To begin, take measurements of the log cabin structure so you can determine the cabin’s square footage. Second, you’ll need to calculate the weight of all the materials that are placed in the structure. For example, how many walls are there, ceilings per square foot, roof construction etc. The sum of all these parts will give you the approximate weight of the log cabin.
How To Calculate The Total Weight of Log Cabin Logs
The material that is used to build a log cabin is rough logs. This is opposed compared to houses that are built from wood and use lumber as their main material. The length of logs used in log cabins is, in most cases, as uniform as possible, while the two ends of each log are approximately the same size. By using these parameters you can get the volume of logs by calculating them. Also, another key parameter we need to know is the density of the wood. Follow the steps:
- Take the measurements of the small end of the log (diameter) and inside the bark of the nearest inch by using a tape measure. Try to take two measurements at right angles and use the two measurements if the log is not round. Use an example that the diameter is around 14 inches of the log.
- By using a tape measure, measure the length of the log. For example, assume that each log has a length of 238 inches.
- You’ll need to obtain what is the density of the wood in units of pounds per cubic foot. This usually varies greatly according to the type of wood you use. For example, the American red oak log has a weight of 45 pounds per square foot.
- The formula that is used to calculate the log weight is the following: M = P x (W/24) x (W/24) x L/12 x D.
Where the M stands for the total weight of the log in pounds, P stands for the value of pi, W stands for the diameter of the log in inches, L stands for the length of the log in inches, and lastly, the D stands for the density of the log in pounds per square foot.
- Let’s take an example where the W is 14 inches, the D is 45 pounds per square foot, and the L is around 238 inches. Keep in mind that P is always 3.14 (standard for Pi).
The total weight of the log cabin is therefore following:
M = 3.14 x (14/24) x (14/24) x 238/12 x 45 = 954 pounds (432 kg)
Formula For Log Weight Chart
These are the standard parametars:
A = Log Diameter (Inches)
B = Log Length (Feet)
C = Type of Wood (Value)
Log Weight Formula = A x (A x (B x 0.54)) / 100 x C
- If you want to build a 12 x 35 log cabin on your hunting property and you want it to be portable so you can move it when the time comes, then you should consider the overall weight of a cabin.
- The total weight is calculated based on the materials that are used and info from the lumberyard on bulk materials.
- The walls of the cabin come with 2×6 dimensions, log siding inside and out, including kings and trimmers from doors and windows.
- The log cabin has walls, and floors, all on 16″ centers, 2×8 rafters, metal roofing, etc.
The total weight that was calculated is approx 13,000 lbs (5896.7 kg).
How Much Does A Mobile Home Weigh?
The weights of a mobile home depend on its size and the year it was built. Mobile homes that were built before 1980 are much less heavy than newer models that are much more equipped. The typical weight of a 16×80 mobile home is around 64,000 pounds (29,029 kg). This data is calculated on the average weight of 50 pounds (22kg) per square foot. This data doesn’t include the contents inside the mobile home.
For those who want to know more, be sure to read Can A Log Cabins Survive A Tornado?
FAQ: People Also Ask
Is a Log Cabin Considered Heavy Timber?
Almost all exposed wood members come with minimum dimensions of 2 inches. By using this method, people classify these structures as log cabins and pole frame buildings as heavy timber.
How Big is An Average Log Cabin?
A typical single-room log cabin size is around 12′ x 12′ in size. But that mostly varies with the size of the cabin.
How Much Does An Average Log Weigh?
The average weight of scaled logs can weigh between 15 to 5 tons for log diameters that are from 8 to 20 inches. However, for logs that have the same diameter, their weight can range +/- 40% of the average value.
How much does a wooden house weigh?
The average weight of a normal wooden house is between 70,000 and 150,000 pounds. This usually depends on the house’s square footage, internal contents, and materials that are used. The general rule of thumb says that is required to count 200 pounds per s.f. and multiply that by 2,000 feet to get the complete weight of an individual home.
Log cabins are becoming more popular today, and more and more people are opting for them, so it is good to know how much they weigh. In this article, we have described the average weight of a log cabin is around 50 pounds per square foot. With that information, you can easily calculate the square footage of your cabin and multiply it by that number. I hope that this article has helped you, and if you have any additional questions about log cabins, feel free to ask or leave a comment below.